Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

9-11 Tribute:

Today, while driving home from work, I heard this song and the chills came flooding in -as did the tears of joy and pride. It was 6 years ago, as I sat with my teething son at 5 a.m. watching the news for a while, half asleep. Typically, I didn't watch TV in the mornings until Makenah was at school. This was the morning I chose to turn it on. Breaking News from "Good Morning America's" Charlie Gibson had come on and said there was an accident and an aircraft had just hit one of the towers. The speculation at first was that it was a small prop plane. They showed footage of that for a bit, Makenah had gotten up at this point and layed down on the couch next to Dalton and I. Together, we watched that second plane hit, the towers falling, then the Pentagon, then the crash of flight 93. I was a bit surprised when, as the towers began to fall, Makenah's response was "Cooool". I had to explain to her that "NO", many were dying in those towers and this was real, not a movie (she was in 2nd grade). It is crazy that it was real, that so many lost their lives on that day. I am proud to be an American, to have the freedoms we enjoy due to so many who have fought. May God continue to watch over us, those who continue to fight for our freedoms, and especially those who lost loved ones on that day, 6 years ago. Thank you Lee Greenwood for such an amazing song!!! If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life, And I had to start again with just my children and my wife. I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today, ‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away. And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A. From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee, across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea, From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA, Well, there’s pride in every American heart, and it’s time to stand and say: I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

1 comment:

Alaskagirl said...

Hello My Friend,
I love your song too!! What a day that was. One that I will never forget. I hope you like your new Danskos. Mine had to be ordered in because they didn't have my size, but they should be in the week. I'm having my party on Thursday and so far a lot of people are interested...YEAH!!
Miss YOU!!!!