Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

STAY-cation (part 2)

Friday we headed off to the local waterpark called The Beach. We have season passes, but this was the first time we have been so far. We had a great time and nobody came home sunburned. After The Beach, we headed to Sonic for dinner. It was a great, non-rushed day. Saturday, we decided to take the kids "creeking". That's what they call creek walking in these parts. We have a rather large creek/river in our neighborhood, it involves a bit of a hike to get there. What is really cool about the creek/river by our house is that it was once a very significant part of the underground railroad. Slaves once used the area to hide and waited for further instructions. We have these walls off of Cook Rd. that were made down while slaves waited. I didn't bring my camera down to the creek because I didn't want anything to happen to it, but here is a picture of the walls made from rock, shells, mud and sand. Anyway, we creeked and hiked for about 3 hours and had a great time exploring. Just as we were getting ready to head home, we heard the thunder from in the distance. We made it home just in time. Makenah got home from her youth trip (Palmyra, New York) at about 11 PM on Saturday night and boy howdy was she EXHAUSTED! She had a great time, met some fun kids, got hardly sleep, and saw some really neat places in our church history. Sunday morning we had church. I told her that when we got home she needed to get her laundry done. She was leaving the next morning for Indiana where she would be spending a whole week at EFY (Especially For Youth). She is quite the busy girl. We had a wonderful time with the kids and even though the whole family was not together, it was nice to spend more one-on-one time with them (and sleep in our own beds). I think we will be doing more STAY-cations in the future.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

This is my first visit to your blog. I enjoyed reading about your Stay-cation. With fuel prices like they are I think more and more families are going to be doing this.

I'll be back to read more.

Leisa said...

Heather & Tyler have YC Thursday through Saturday and turn around for EFY the following Monday, too. Though, theirs is in July! Let me know how she survives it!

Patty said...

Wow!!! Makenah, I'm so thrilled for you. You will never forget your youth conference. I wish my kids had that experience. Love ya, Patty

Meagan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meagan said...

Fun times! I love exploring and creek-walking! Yeah the Avalanche is pretty scary and I don't think I care to go on it again! I absolutely love roller coasters too, but I have never been a huge fan of waterslides for some reason. II'm okay with most of the rides at Roaring Springs, but the endless river is my favorite thing there. I think I just feel like a roller coaster is safer and more controlled. Those free-falling rides (like the Rocket at Lagoon) are super scary too; something I'd like to try only once.

Meagan said...

Oops... didn't realize I'd typed "II'm" haha!

Stockpiling Mom said...

Sounds like so much fun! We may try a staycation sometime but for now my husband can't give up the beach... :-)

Melissa

Stockpiling Mom said...

Would Peyton be old enough for the Beach Waterpark?

Melissa